[squeakland] Etoys Minute - Quick Guides

Carlos Rabassa carnen at mac.com
Sun Oct 10 12:33:06 EDT 2010

Kathleen,

As the video says, "Mr. Steve sent me".

Just watched the video.

It is fantastic to see such a show of teamwork,  great guides and a great video.

Would like to post it in the Spanish language forums.

We can accomplish several goals in one single step:

- Tell about Etoys 4.1 and how easy it is to reach the guides through the question mark.

- Tell about the Quick Guides also being available in Spanish.

- Give the authorized opinion of a teacher actually using Etoys and the Quick Guides.

- Very good message about teaching and about the very important point of having children in the class who know things the teacher doesn´t know yet.

- Cash on the high regard many uruguayan teachers have for Kathleen and Etoys illinois as well as on her popularity among those who know her personally.

Steve,  you said recently something I was told many times:

"The best is the best enemy of the good"

The best would be to attempt to repeat exactly what you did but in Spanish.

But I will never do it or at best I will start and never finish.

The good would be to accompany my message with your english video and a written spanish transcript.

Maybe it could be a means of telling Spanish speakers that English is not so difficult.

I can do that,  I have done it before using the captions feature offered by this video,  listen in English,  check the transcript if anything is not that clear,  which I doubt will be necessary,  you speak extremely clearly.

My only question is whether or not I have missed some feature of the video.  I was able to read the english captions and was offered a translation to South African.

No mention of Spanish anywhere.

Is there anything else hidden somewhere?

Carlos Rabassa
Volunteer
Plan Ceibal Support Network
Montevideo, Uruguay