[Squeakland] SqueakFest and other events

Kim Rose kim.rose at vpri.org
Wed Feb 27 11:15:23 PST 2008

Dear Squeaklanders,

Several people have sent us email asking about plans for SqueakFest
2008, so I thought it would be helpful to share the current thinking
with the community.

You saw a few months ago that our most gracious host of past years,
Columbia College, has decided to take a hiatus from hosting
SqueakFest and allow for change and evolution of the event.  There
has been interest from a few institutions to host future gatherings,
including The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools which we find
exciting (and we do love Chicago).

In addition, MIT will host their first large-scale Scratch gathering
-- "Scratch at MIT" in July.  Please see http://scratch.mit.edu/
conference/ for more.   Given the overlap in community and interests,
we've decided to skip a summer SqueakFest this year helping those who
wish to attend the Scratch event to do so without conflict.  Several
of us from Viewpoints Research plan to attend; so it may prove a
great venue to gather, reconnect or meet new colleagues, etc., etc.

Additionally, I am excited to share that initial plans are underway
for SqueakFest 2009 -- and in '09 plans are afoot to hold this event
outside the U.S. --  in Brazil (!).  Now, and even more so in 2009,
Squeak Etoys will be in use by hundreds of thousands of children and
their teachers, etc. around the world.   Brazil is currently a
forerunner in pilot programs and collaborations between K-12 schools
and Universities, in after school community centers, etc., etc.  We
are exploring combining SqueakFest with a very well known and popular
"Ed Tech" Conference to provide even more leverage, exposure and
overlap of communities.

A small organizing committee has already been established to plan
SqueakFest '09.  If you are interested in participating please let us
know.  We will soon begin fundraising to enable presenter stipends
for travel.  Please let me know if you have ideas or contacts to help
with this fundraising effort, or if you work for a company that might
like to be a sponsor of the event, etc., etc.  We feel planning early
will help ensure the most successful event possible.

Please share this information with colleagues who may be interested
and might not subscribe to this mailing list.

thanks and cheers,
Kim