[Squeakland] Demoing Etoys to kids

Kim Rose kim.rose at vpri.org
Mon Aug 13 13:22:11 PDT 2007

Hi, Luke -

Sorry for my delay in response...I know you've received many ideas
and messages so far, but here is a little more info.

Before the "Etoys Challenges" I would have them play with the paint
system to draw and keep some simple objects -- that is why the car
works so well.   I usually have 1st timers paint a car and keep it
and then do some very simple scripting with forward and turn.  Then,
we have them paint a steering wheel and steer the car using the
wheel.  Just these activities can take up all of your time if you
only have 40-60 minutes.

PDFs for these starting  projects are here:
http://www.squeakland.org/sqmedia/books/kimbjbook.html (CLick on the
thumbnail and you will have printable pages).

IF there is enough time the next thing you might do is ask them to
create an obstacle course where they can drive their car around the
obstacles.

I would only suggest the "Etoy Challenges" that come with the XO
AFTER they do these particular projects.

Also, the handles tutorial, "Demon Castle" is a good starter, but you
said many only speak Arabic so this may not be best.
I hope this helps!
good luck and have fun,
Kim