[etoys-dev] Etoys: Etoys-kfr.95.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 27 12:17:46 EDT 2011

On 27.10.2011, at 18:08, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 27.10.2011, at 13:40, Walter Bender wrote:
>>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>>> "hue" isn't correct anyway. It's not not setting the hue of the sketch. It is changing the hue of each pixel by the given amount. "hue shift" (or "hue change") would be much more appropriate. Perhaps there is a single English word for that? Maybe "tint"? Not being a native speaker I can't think of a good one. [btw, Scratch calls it "color effect" which is less specific]
>>> On old analog TVs, it was called tint, with the implication that it
>>> was used to change the hue. I'd suggest combining a noun and a verb:
>>> 'shift hue'.
>>> -walter
>> Ah, thanks. For a command name, "shift hue" would be good. But I was looking for a name for a property that could be dialed up and down. Default would be 0, meaning no change. That analog TV term sounds right to me.
>> Looking forward to see you tomorrow :)
>> - Bert -
> I had really not thought about the word hue and it's meaning. I'll use
> 'shift hue'.
> On the getter side should we reverse the wording to use 'hue shift' as
> we are getting the shift of hue ? Does that make sense ?

I think it does make sense. I just saw that even the primitive has the name "primitiveHueShift".

> Regarding the words 'saturation' and 'brightness', are they ok to go
> or should we change them ?

The primitives are called primitiveBrightnessShift and primitiveSaturationShift, which seems verbose but correct.

- Bert -

More information about the etoys-dev mailing list