[etoys-dev] Still working on translation support :)

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Tue May 18 06:42:50 EDT 2010


Hi Ricardo.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, today I uploaded a bunch of entries to the inbox. Most of them are
> little hacks and experiments, but it works somehow and it can be tested. If
> you're interested replace your current locale folder with this
> one http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/gsoc/locale.zip. I made these mo files
> using the existing translations from Etoys 4.0 and they contain only the
> following languages: english, spanish, german, french, portuguese.

I want to review your stuff.  But I can't properly load your snapshot
into fresh dev image from inbox and emergency evaluator was showed.  I
suspect order of loading was wrong.  Could you show the correct order
of loading packages?

> I still have a lot of strings I can't translate because the correct domain
> sometimes is not easy to find (and there are so many #translated sends I
> don't know where to look). Anyway, I managed to translate most of the tiles
> by hacking ObjectWithDocumentation>>#wording but I don't think this is a
> nice solution. I'm not really sure how this object is used elsewhere but
> maybe in Etoys we could use the #untranslatedWording and translate the
> string later (I'm kinda thinking out loud so please correct me if I'm
> wrong).
> Korakurider fix to SQ-139 helped me a lot to understand some things but I
> haven't included it yet because I want to fully understand this before I can
> jump on managing different contexts.
    I pointed SQ-139 because changes interesting to you have been
distilled in the change set.  But I think context support would be
nice-to-have feature with low priority that we might want to work on
after work of splitting translation will be completed.

/Korakurider

> Regarding method properties to store text domains, I tried that approach and
> implemented it in a lazy way. It seems to work well (I thought it would be
> worst). I also tried to preconfigure all the compiled methods but I ran into
> a "Space is low" warning, I might be doing something terribly wrong here. If
> you want to take a look, the code is
> TextDomainManager>>#updateDomainOfAllMethodsWithTranslations.
> Best regards
> Richo
> _______________________________________________
> etoys-dev mailing list
> etoys-dev at squeakland.org
> http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
>
>


More information about the etoys-dev mailing list