[etoys-dev] Still working on translation support :)

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Mon May 17 23:14:33 EDT 2010

Hi guys, today I uploaded a bunch of entries to the inbox. Most of them are
little hacks and experiments, but it works somehow and it can be tested. If
you're interested replace your current locale folder with this one
http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/gsoc/locale.zip. I made these mo files using
the existing translations from Etoys 4.0 and they contain only the following
languages: english, spanish, german, french, portuguese.

I still have a lot of strings I can't translate because the correct domain
sometimes is not easy to find (and there are so many #translated sends I
don't know where to look). Anyway, I managed to translate most of the tiles
by hacking ObjectWithDocumentation>>#wording but I don't think this is a
nice solution. I'm not really sure how this object is used elsewhere but
maybe in Etoys we could use the #untranslatedWording and translate the
string later (I'm kinda thinking out loud so please correct me if I'm
Korakurider fix to SQ-139 helped me a lot to understand some things but I
haven't included it yet because I want to fully understand this before I can
jump on managing different contexts.

Regarding method properties to store text domains, I tried that approach and
implemented it in a lazy way. It seems to work well (I thought it would be
worst). I also tried to preconfigure all the compiled methods but I ran into
a "Space is low" warning, I might be doing something terribly wrong here. If
you want to take a look, the code is

Best regards
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/etoys-dev/attachments/20100518/65f330c3/attachment.html

More information about the etoys-dev mailing list