[etoys-dev] Customizable project resolution?

Xin Wang dram.wang at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 09:32:28 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 28.12.2010, at 13:24, Xin Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In order to share projects easily, project resolution is set to
>> 1200x900, and use VirtualScreen to scale to fit the physical screen.
>>
>> But for some small screens, 1200x900 is a bit large, so the project
>> world has to be zoomed out a lot.  In some languages, such as Chinese,
>> there are a number of font glyphs are complex, as those characters
>> also has to be zoomed out, they may not be showed very clearly.
>>
>> So is it better to make project resolution customizable? Just like we
>> can set canvas size to any value in image manipulation programs. As
>> projects are displayed using VirtualScreen, this change will not
>> affect project sharing.
>>
>> The bounds of project world is initialized in
>> worldPasteUpMorph>>initForProject, when I change it to some other
>> value instead of Display boundingBox, project displays properly, so I
>> think it may be not very difficult to implement this.
>>
>> So could this feature be added into Etoys?
>
> You could add it to the "display mode" menu (defined in #chooseScreenSetting).

Well, I'll try to do it.

> Though a better solution might be to use larger fonts? On the OLPC XO we do not use screen scaling but its native 1200x900 resolution. Scaling is too slow on that laptop.

As font is rendered before scaling, characters seem a bit ugly after
world is zoomed out.

And recently I tried to use RomePlugin in Windows, text looks alien if
project is scaled, although Pango use Windows native font rendering
API.

How about choose Display Actual Pixels instead of Scale To Fit in OLPC
XO? It does not scale the world, but just put the world in the center
of screen. Does it also has a performance loss?